Gynecomastia Adolescent’s and Skin Contracture

San Francisco, California-Gynecomastia effects up to 60% of boys by the age of 14. The cause is not certain but usually is attributed to an imbalance of sex hormones brought on by puberty. Other causes may be the use of steroids, prescription drugs, heredity, marijuana, soy milk, and lavender oil, to name a few.

San Francisco Bay Area parents, including Sacramento, San Jose and beyond, need to be aware of the possibility that their son may be experiencing this condition so they can help him understand what is happening to his body. The breasts may look enlarged, or puffy nipples or he may have unusually large nipples.

Though it is a benign condition, many young men are embarrassed and humiliated, they try to hide their chests by keeping their shoulders hunched over and avoid situations where they need to remove their shirts, such as swimming or some sports. Classmates can be very cruel, taunting boys, especially in gym class where they need to remove their shirts.

For 80% to 90% of adolescent gynecomastia cases, the female type breasts will resolve by themselves usually within several weeks but can last up to three years. For the remaining 10% to 20%, the male breast may be a permanent condition. If the gynecomastia breast does not return to normal on its own, once a young man has gone through puberty, he could be a candidate for gyne surgery.

The big advantage for a young man to have male breast reduction surgery is the good quality of his skin, compared to the older man. In many instances, the skin will contract on its own avoiding a secondary surgery to remove loose skin. See the photos below of a young man with enormous breasts whose skin retracted nicely without additional surgery.

It is not unusual for a 16 year old to have gynecomastia surgery, and in some cases even younger, but it is a case by case decision made by the parents, their son and their surgeon. Consideration needs to be given to the fact that recurrence can occur due to continued hormone fluctuation if the patient has not completed puberty.

The age of the patient is not as important as the maturity. For the boy that has a clear understanding of what the surgery entails and wants to move forward may have an easier time than the boy who has developed emotional problems.

For a young man suffering from the effects of the gynecomastia, it is highly recommended that he see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon that specializes in gynecomastia for a consultation with his parent(s) to find out what options are available to him.

In the search for information about gynecomastia, Miguel Delgado, M.D. recommends boys and their parents, and anyone suffering from man boobs visit www.gynecomastia.org, known as the web’s best resource for information on gynecomastia. On this website, they will find others who share their stories and offer support through the many forums on the site. In addition, there are numerous before and after pictures of men that have had the surgery. It also offers a directory of surgeons around the United States and beyond who specialize in male breast reduction surgery.

Dr. Delgado has specialized in male breast reduction surgery since 1988, treating young men in the greater San Francisco Bay Area; including Sacramento, San Jose and Los Angeles. He has a clear understanding of when it is appropriate to proceed with surgery. For an evaluation of your son, call or email today for a consultation (415) 898-4161.

Contact Us